A Year of Social Video
If you were distracted by social media in 2016, then brace yourself as things aren’t changing anytime soon. In fact, by 2020, it’s estimated there will be around 2.95 billion active social media users, with lives continually influenced by ‘digital’.
As we tentatively enter 2017, we’re taking a moment to understand the significant impact that social networks have on our lives, and which Videos trended during 2016 on the major platforms.
Around 117 million mobile users currently watch videos online via social media and this is expected to increase to around 136 million by 2019; this equates to 83% of all internet users now consuming web video.
Continued to dominate as the most populate Video Sharing Platform:
- 500 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- 6 billion hours of video content is viewed on YouTube every month.
- YouTube has over 1 billion monthly active users coming on to watch video content.
In 2016, Adele Carpool Karaoke with James Corden smash-hit viral series reached its spike. James Corden picks up Adele for a drive around London, singing some of her classic songs and raps Nicki Minaj’s “Monster.” The video attracted 135.8 million views, making it the most-viewed video on YouTube’s list.
Retained it’s title of undisputed king of content:
- Facebook generates 8 billion video views on average per day.
- 500 million people watch Facebook videos everyday.
- Worldwide, there are over 1.79 billion monthly active Facebook users; a 16 percent increase year on year.
Facebook’s most-watched live video of 2016 was Candace Payne, a.k.a. “Chewbacca Mom”. In four-minute video, Candace put on a talking Chewbacca mask and laughs hilariously while sitting in her car, this has generated more than 165 million views since it was first streamed on May 20.
Held strong amongst it’s loyal fans:
- There is a total of 1.3 billion accounts, but only 320 million are active.
- 82% of Twitter users watch videos on Twitter.
- 7 The majority of Twitter users (82%) watch video content on Twitter.
In 2016, a Twitter account called Kroony tweeted a video showing a cat amongst a tub of ducklings, and in three days it has been liked 270,000 times and retweeted 230,000 times!
Oh my God… pic.twitter.com/If507fxar5
— Ian Deveney (@DeKroonCat) July 15, 2016
Still the most fashionable online hangout:
- Instagram has more than 500 million users and is one of the most popular video and image media site.
- Instagram users share an average of 95 million videos per day.
- 75% of Instagram users take action, after looking at an Instagram advertising post.
The most viewed Instagram video of the year was Kylie Jenner. On Halloween Kylie dressed up as Christina Aguilera last year, the video had almost 46 million views. The most popular Instagram post of 2016 was an advert for Coca Cola posted by Gomez. It earned 6 million likes.
Tasty is BuzzFeed’s most viewed Facebook publisher, but it’s also doing incredibly well on Instagram. This an amazing walkthrough video for decorating a stunning Geode cake – was its most viewed at 5.6M.
Geode Cake INGREDIENTS White cake (or cake of your choice) Fondant Buttercream frosting White rum or vodka Black food coloring Piping gel Rock candy (ranging from white to dark teal/blue, or colors of your preference) PREPARATION 1. Cover cake in smooth layers of fondant. 2. Cut the geode shape out of the side of the cake. 3. Spread buttercream frosting all along the inside of the cut 4. Mix alcohol with food coloring until it reaches the desired shade of gray. Paint a thin dark line around the edge of the cut. 5. Apply a row of piping gel in the center of the cut. 6. Press rock candy into the piping gel, starting with the darkest shade. 7. Continue laying out rows of piping gel and pressing in the rock candy, applying lighter colors and smaller pieces as you move farther out toward the edge of the cut.
Will one day take over the world.. (probably):
- 10 billion videos are watched on Snapchat every day.
- More than 400 million Snaps are sent every day and 8,796 photos are shared on Snapchat every second.
- Snapchat users watch 10 billion videos per day..
The network for professionals:
- LinkedIn has 450 million members.
- More than 1 million members have published content on LinkedIn.
- 100 million users access the site on a monthly basis.
The Latest Platform Changes and New Trends
- Facebook launched Live 360 video, which will be available to more Pages via the Live API in coming months and will roll out more broadly for all Pages and Profiles in 2017.
- Live video streams have existed for some time now, its integration with social media increased its reach. It’s likely to grow further in 2017, with more marketers and brands creating live video content to gain the engagement levels.
- Snapchat announced ‘Groups’, a new way to communicate with up to 16 friends on Snapchat. Chats sent to a Group are deleted by default after 24 hours. Snaps sent to a Group can be opened and replayed just once by each recipient.
- Instagram announced that its community has grown to more than 600 million ‘Instagrammers,’ that’s up from 500 million six months ago. They now have more ways to share than ever before, with Instagram Stories, live video and disappearing videos in Direct.
- 2016 has been the year of virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). This year we’ll see VR gradually increase its presence as manufacturers such as Samsung seek to gain market share via bundled headsets.
- Multi-platform viewing: Apparently up to 85% of adults aged 18-49, now claim to use multiple devices at the same time. Those kind of figures should keep advertisers on their toes!
Clearly 2017 will continue to follow form, with more of us accessing video content on our mobile devices. Content producers will increasingly seek to form and build loyalty with each platform, vying for our time, data and engagement. As individuals and businesses seeking to utilise these platforms to communicate with audiences, we have more choice than ever before – and with that, an even greater digital marketing challenge!